Monday, August 1, 2016

Tolhuin, Zona Rio Grande - Week 12... What didn't happen this week...

ALRIGHT HERE'S THE BIGGIE!!!!! 

So what didn't happen this week, 'CAUSE EVERYTHING HAPPENED!!! 

This week started out with, as you know, a p-day in Rio Grande. I pretty much spent the whole day chillin' with Elder Christensen. He's one of the nuevos from last transfer. He's a huge black kid from Logan. It's hilarious because he played football in high school (he's got a football scholarship to Nevada, hates BYU because he says Bronco was a total tonto (stupid), but I was like Kalani dude! Just do it!) but anyways, he played for Sky View whom Herriman beat in the semifinals on the way to the championship, so when he found out I was from Herriman, he was sooo salty haha! But we have a ton in common, so it was so dope to talk to him. It was also a good p-day, because as we were walking back to the lider (bus) station to take the combi, one of my favorite investigators, Anival, called us and told us that he was in Rio Grande. So we got to ride back to Tolhuin, free of charge, with one of the most colorful men I have ever met. It was sick haha! We ate pizza with him and Ana Silva/Adriana when we got back, so Lunes was a total party. 

Martes, I bought an electronic scale with my home money, that'll help me be more healthy. Aaaanyways, with my own funds I also bought some Mate cocido. It's yerba in a tea bag, so it's like mate without the hassle. Not bad at all, especially with leche en polvo y azucar. To be honest, it's probably pretty nasty but it's a little bit addicting, so it keeps me coming back haha. 

Later in the week we ate more pizza with some investigators, so everyone is just randomly making us pizza, and I love it. This week it rained A TON so it was pretty much a straight mud fest in Tolhuin. I was walking during the week, and I was thinking "Wow this totally would have grossed me out before the mish, but now I just dont care jaja" 

Also this week we met an interesting investigator. His name is Hugo Luciano Velardocchio, and the guys a complete guru. He lives alone, wears rugby shirts with short shorts, and I guess he writes a blog with 2-3 million followers, so if you guys could double check that for me, I'd really appreciate it. Just search his name. I hope he's not a total communist jaja (they're not super rare here). (I googled him and other than a bunch of "letters to the editor" I didn't find anything much.)

One of the menos activos made us hats, so that was dope. Shes totally ADD and every time I imagine her furiously knitting our hats, it makes me laugh inside. We found out traslados en Viernes (transfers on Friday). I was dying, cause there was a very real chance that I was going to tranfer out. The results were.... TOLHUIN FOR 6 MORE WEEKS BABY, LETS GOOOOOOO! So pumped, this area can't shake me man. That right Satan, TOMATELAAAAAAA!!! 

Anyways, we finished up my training by watching the 3 episodes of the district on the flat screen, y me puso un montón de trunky (and it made me super trunky). Seeing sunny San Diego, and all of the american missionaries that were like "we haven't baptized this traslado, so my life is ending now" Ohhhh, I miss the states. But it's okay, remember that scripture about the fishers and the hunters, Mom? I like being a hunter. 

Jeremiah 16:16: Behold, I will send for many fishers, saith the Lord, and they shall fish them; and after will I send for many hunters, and they shall hunt them from every mountain, and from every hill, and out of the holes of the rocks.

So tomatela to all the Cali fisher missionaries, I'm gonna bring down a grizzly one of these days in the next traslado, and we'll all be spiritually fed for months. Or maybe I'll just hunt a ton of castores (beavers), because I tried some this week, and they're wayyy rico (delicious)

Speaking of food, I finally took the initiative and worked out a system with the members here so that the missionaries of Tolhuin from here on out have almuerzo (lunch) every day. So "you're welcome" to my Tolhuin posterity. Not gonna lie, I'm pumped about it too. Yesterday we ate lunch with los Vidal, which was great (empanadas super bueno) but one of their dogs threw up. I seriously do not get the concept of house pets. 

Anyway, this is the last part of the post AND THE BEST... Last night, we were heading to our last cita of the night. We were walking up to to their casa, and I felt like we should visit the family that lives right next to them. But I was like, we've got a cita fija (set appointment) with these guys, so we'll head over to them after, even if we have to stay out a bit late. So we knock the door, no answer. Sad, but suuuper typical here. Usually when the last cita falls, it's the worst feeling ever because it means an hour of unproductive contacting in the dark, but I didn't feel bad. I was actually pumped, because I wanted to head over to the other family. So we knock their door, and one of their little hijas opens, and was pumped to see us. We get in the door, and I start chattin' it up with the esposo, getting ready to teach. His name is Jose. So I'm about to start the lesson, and I look over at Elder Hernandez AND HE'S SLEEPING. I was like En serio (Seriously) dude??? Then his two hijas started fighting, and things were getting out of my hands. So I used some of the mints Mom gave me to quiet the girls down, then I started to teach. I asked Jose if he read the LdM (Book of Mormon). He had. He told me that he liked it. He also told me about how he had lost his first family, and was at one point really close to death, but he asked God to save him, and God delivered. He told me that he knows God exists. Then I whipped out Alma 7, and read 11-13 with him. I told him that Jesucristo had already felt his pain in that moment, and that he had already taken it away before Jose asked. Then I shared 14-15. When I started to read the spirit filled the room, and the scriptures told Jose that he needed to be baptized. All the stories about missionaries talk about how they bore their testimonies with spiritual power, and I thought it was never gonna happen to me, but after I read 14-15 I bore my testimony that Jesus Christ lives and the spirit PULSED in the room. After I bore my testimony, I asked him if he would like to be baptized, and he said "If I can know these things are true, then yes, I will. I'm bringing my family to church this week" HOLY COW!!!! I've been praying for investigators like this for months, and WE FINALLY FOUND EM! After grinding for months, it's lookin' like Tolhuin's gonna have bautismos this transfer!!! After all the fun, Hernandez woke up, and he also gave a good testimony, The Lord worked through us last night, and I'm TURNT about it. So please pray for Jose y Susanna. 

I really love the people of Tolhuin. I love my Savior, and I love the work that Heavenly Father has given Him to do, and I'm honored to be a part of it. 

To my family: LES AMO MUCHISIMO! Especially you Mom ;) Tell abuela I love her and I am grateful for her. 

I LOVE YOU GUYS - Elder Jimenez



Selfies con los gorros que recibimos de Hermana Sandra. ¡es capa ella!
(Selfies in the hats that Hna Sandra made us. She's awesome!)



My arm hairs after they totally got singed by the stove. (We light up the stove using a cheap bic lighter so its pretty much like "light the flame then get your hand out of there as fast as you freakin can" jaja)


You know you're home when you see a dead dog frozen into an open sewer. If it wasn't for the ice, I think I would have died on the spot from the smell jaja!


No comments:

Post a Comment