Monday, April 3, 2017

Union 1, Zona Trelew Sur - Week 5... Flash Flood

This week was definitely interesting XD 

Monday and Tuesday were the normals. We taught Agustin again, and it went really well. His mom is definitely softening her heart. 

On Tuesday, here's the part that'll make Mom cringe... we took a colectivo down to Comodoro for Leadership Meeting. We had received a storm watch in Trelew, and had spent almost all day before the trip readying our missionaries, making sure they had food and were prepared. The colectivo ended up leaving super late, and we got to Comodoro around 1 in the morning on Wednesday. Tuesday, the rain had already started, and there was destruction all around when we got there. There were cars pinned into the sides of buildings and roads, and lots of water filled pot holes. We stayed the night with Elder Morales and Elder Lopez, the LZs in Comodoro Norte (two guys that were with me in Gallegos :D). That night, it started to rain again. 

Wednesday was incredible! I have never seen so much rain in my entire life! Luckily, the pension of the LZs is on a hill, so there wasn't any bad flooding, but we did have to squeegee pretty much all day to keep the water out. That night, when the rain calmed down a bit, we ran down to a kiosco to get some more food. We passed a bridge to get there, and there was a roaring river beneath it. I asked Lopez if the water level is always that high, and he told me the the day before the river had been a meter deep ditch with no water passing through. I couldn't believe it! It was literally a river! That night, we got home soaking wet, and I took my first bucket shower of the mission. It was actually kind of fun XD 


This isn't from Alex, but it was Wednesday in Comodoro Rivadavia!

Thursday, President still hadn't given the okay to work, and hadn't decided if we were going to have consejo (leadership meeting). We made some asado for lunch, and literally right as I was about to put the first bite in my mouth, the secretarios called and told me that the only colectivo going north was leaving in 10 minutes, and they were going to pick us up in 2. Secretarios these days... As they drove us to the terminal, we got to see a bit of the destruction. It was bad. There's a big hill in Comodoro called Cerro Chenque, before the storm, it ran right next to the road. When we passed it, its lowest point was 3 meters or more away from the road. It had literally been washed away. The bay in front of Comodoro was brown with mud for kilometers out into the sea. There was mud everywhere, and we almost end up missing the colectivo because the terminal didn't have light. We did end up returning to Trelew though. Luckily, Trelew avoided the storm completely. That was a big blessing for us! 

General Conference was interesting. I watched half in English, and half in Spanish. It's just not the same in Spanish, and although I understood, I wish I could have watched more sessions in English (I watched 2 in English). Igual, we had investigators at all the sessions in Spanish, so that was really good. The first session was cut short though, because the city cut the lights about 1/3 through, so that was sad. I loved the Prophet's talks, they were really good. I also loved the talk from Joaquin E. Costa. Porteño reppin in the Conferencia General ché! (Argentine representing at General Conference!)

Overall, it was a crazy week, but we actually did really good with the circumstances. There's a lot of potential, now we need to turn it into baptisms. 

I'm so grateful to be a member of the church and have a family that is made up of faithful members! If we live this gospel, we will inherit eternal life together! 

I love you guys! LOVE YOU MOM! Have a great, safe week :) 
- Elder Jimenez

Pictures of the Comodoro Flood...

Alex's mission president posted most of these on Facebook. He also did a great job of keeping us all updated, so we would know the missionaries were all safe.









And to Jose...
I'm glad that you guys were well informed, that way Mom doesn't freak out haha! I'm way jealous that you guys are going to Boston, that sounds like so much fun! 

General Conference was good, I especially loved Joaquin E. Costa's talk. It was funny because it was tiring me out way bad to translate the translators gringo accents when Elder Costas talk came on, which he recorded, and I stopped noticing that I was even trying to translate. It was nice and easy ;) Aguante Argentina! I think I'm gonna draw more out of reading the talks later on, and really studying them well. 

The pensh is definitely the best I've been in thus far in the mission. Nice and cheto (posh/expensive/rich) :D 

As far as cool experiences that the Zone has had... were kind of in a rut right now. It's making me work really hard though, and think everything through, and that's gonna help me be a better leader. Ya vamos a salir. 

Dad, I love you! Thanks for all the help that you've given me!!! We'll be seeing each other in no time :) - Elder Son 

P.S. get used to watching European football now, because were gonna watch together when I get home! Champions League is in quarter finals, and I've heard that the English team, Leicester City, is one of the greatest Cinderella stories in the history of sports, so you should get watchin! 

Love you :)


No comments:

Post a Comment