Monday, October 16, 2017

AP, Zona Comodoro Norte - Week 9... GOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAALLL!!!

What's up everybody! Hope you guys had a good week, my week was crazy as ever! Mom, I'm really happy that your observations went well. You are a person with many gifts, and that middle school is lucky to have you! I can't believe that Brock is already home, how crazy is that. I'm sure he grew a ton on his mission. It's funny to see though that with all the changes, he's still good ole Brock :) And man, how awesome is that, that Kurt and Jenn and Madi got to meet Elder Anderson. The Lord really does love our family! 

As far as this end, I was busy this week. Tomi couldn't come to play futbol last Monday, which made me a bit sad, but the story continues! 

On Tuesday, we drove all day until we got to Rio Gallegos. La Seleccion de Argentina had their last match in the World Cup Qualifiers, and it was a very important game. For the first time in a while, Argentina was on the verge of not making it to the Mundial. Their last game was against Ecuador, IN ECUADOR. If they won, they were in, if they lost, they wouldn't make it. With the game being so important for the country, President Salerno gave permission to the missionaries to watch the game. I WAS PUMPED! For those who don't know, the arguably best player in the world, Lionel Messi, is infamous for playing really well in Barcelona, but never making goals here in Argentina. During all of the world cup qualifiers this round, he had only scored 1 goal thus far. So the game started, and BOOM - in the first 20 seconds, Ecuador scores a goal! And the whole mission sighed, and got scared because there were going to be riots in the streets. But wait, Messi gets a clutch, rebound and BOOM! GOL MESSI!!!!!!!!!!! And then BOOM! Another! and to finish it off, in the second time, falling backwards, with his left foot, a beautiful goal to finish em off! 3 - 1 Argentina, with all 3 coming from Messi! I was super pumped, because I'm going to be home to watch the Mundial. AGUANTE ARGENTINA! 

Sorry to everyone who was hoping for some deep spiritual thoughts to start off this email, but for all those who know me, you all know the love I have for watching sports. It's safe to say that it was a great experience for me :) 

On Wednesday, we had the conference in Rio Gallegos. Everything went well, and the zone loved the activity. I didn't have time to make visits this time, because we finished late at night with the interviews, and we left on Thursday morning. It's really awesome to be assistant though, because it allows me to get to know all the missionaries, and give them counsels about how to improve that I think they take a bit better because I'm a fellow missionary, and have been where they are. 



Friday and Saturday were spent running errands for President. 

On Sunday, I had a good experience. Before church, as I read the scriptures, I read a bit about the Brother of Jared. I learned a lesson. The Lord commanded the Brother of Jared to build ships, and showed him how to do it. When the ships neared completion, Jared encountered two problems: 1) How were he and his people going to breath in the ships, and 2) How would they have light? So the Brother of Jared (Moriancumer) asked the Lord. With the first problem, the Lord taught Moriancumer, then gave him the answer. However, with the second problem, the Lord responded:
"What will ye that I should do that ye may have light in your vessels? For behold, ye cannot have windows, for they will be dashed in pieces; neither shall ye take fire with you, for ye shall not go by the light of fire. ... Therefore what will ye that I should prepare for you that ye may have light when ye are swallowed up in the depths of the sea?"
This time, the Lord did not give the answer to Moriancumer, rather He let him work it out for himself. As the majority of you all know, Moriancumer prepared translucent stones, and asked the Lord to touch them, that they might glow. You all might be thinking "Where is Elder Jimenez going with this?" This is what I learned :) If we want the Lord to help us overcome obstacles in our lives, sometimes, He will guide us and show us the way. However, other times, and in my case I believe it to be the majority of the time, before giving us the help we need, He wants us to prepare ourselves to be ready for the solution, like the Brother of Jared when he approached the Lord with his stones. 

So, on Sunday, after church, I wrote a dedication in a Book of Mormon. Then, Elder Popa and I had a good companion study, and finished it off with some practices. In that moment, we were ready. Sunday evening, we had our only moment in the week that we were able to work in our area. So we started working. We knocked, and knocked. And knocked. For 4 hours, we kept on keepin' on, but it just wouldn't give. Finally, as the day closed, we started heading home. I felt a tiny bit discouraged, because I really didn't want to accept the reality that Assistants just can't baptize, but after doing all the work we could, we once again came up with nothing. I had prayed a lot as well, asking the Lord to guide us, but the agency of the people kept us from having the success we desired. However, as we were walking towards the pension, passing Daiana's house, Tomi, her son who was going to play futbol with us, came walking out. "Hey, are you Tomi?" I said to him. "Yeah" he said. 
Lord 1 - Satan 0. 
I introduced myself and Elder Popa. He seemed like a really nice kid! I then had the impression to give the Book of Mormon that I had dedicated to Tomi. So I wrote his name in it, and gave it to him :) We invited him to play futbol with us the next day, then continued on our way. 

Later that night, Daiana sent us a text thanking us for the book. She said that the dedication was very nice, and that Tomi loved it, and that she was going to bring him the next day. And sure enough, HE CAME! I love how the Lord gave us success after we prepared ourselves for it, just as He did with the Brother of Jared. 

So I'd like to extend an invitation to all of you, to put your trust in the Lord. He really does live! He loves us, and if we trust in Him, and DO OUR PART, He WILL bless us! So prepare yourself, your homes, and your families for the blessings of the Lord, then ask, and wait patiently. I know that as you do so, the Lord will bless you abundantly, in His time and way. 

FAMILY! I love you guys! 

GRANDPA! Happy B Day old man! 

MOM! You're a boss! Keep slayin' it in your job! 

SOFIA AND ABUELA: Prepare to teach me how to do family history and get me going after the mission. WE GOT WORK TO DO FOR OUR FAMILIA BORIQUA! 

I love you guys :) - 
Elder Jimenez 

No comments:

Post a Comment