Monday, June 20, 2016

Tolhuin, Zona Rio Grande - Week 6... Cambios!

Alright time for the weekly update... I'm trying to think of a couple cool things that happened this week... I legit hitch-hiked to the cyber (the internet cafe where they are writing emails), so that's the first time I've done that in my life. I'm in Rio Grande by the way (: Elder Wilhelm left Friday night, so I stayed the night in Austral with Elder Pymm's comp - Elder Caceres. Pymm finished too. 

Anyways, we were in Austral for Saturday, then we returned to Tolhuin for church, then we came back to Rio again, so that's where I am now. On the combi (collective bus/taxi) coming back from Tolhuin I totally sat next to two guys who speak English. They were world travelers that had been travelling for 6 months, through 25 countries, and they are getting close to finishing their trip, so they had a ton of cool stories. Horrible language and smelled like weed, but still cool that I was sitting next to a dude that had been at Everest Base Camp like 4 meses antes (4 months ago).

I also gave my first blessing in Spanish this week, only consecrated, but still dope. The Spanish is definitely coming along. I understand a ton more, plus after I was done talking with the guy from Florida he was like, "dude you speak straight Spanglish." Turns out I had been saying ton of words in Spanish accidentally and I forgot a lot of words in English, and I was like "I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR THIS MY ENTIRE LIFE!" Copado. 

Last night in Austral, I met the coolest family on the planet. It was this like 35 year old menos activo (less active guy) living with his 88 year old abuelita. She made us popcorn and was a total capa (boss) the whole time, and he's a convert from a long time ago. He was very, very gay before he got baptized, but he stopped that, got baptized, went through the temple, and then served his own mission by going out with the missionaries all day every day for months, and very frequently for years. He's menos activo because he doesn't really trust the people in the church because he's still a total flamer and he thinks they'll judge him. But the guy has the testimony and dedication of a general authority coupled with the personality of Cam from Modern Family. So imagine that. A flamin' feminine apostle and an 88 year old abuelita who reminds me of the grandma from Mulan with the cricket, millions of animals in the house, popcorn, and chocolatada. Best freakin' night ever. 

I'd keep telling awesome stories, but I actually got a monton (bunch) of emails this week including two from SOFIA and BENTON. So por fin on that one. Soooo pumped. Email me guys! 

But yeah, there were more people at church this week, but zero investigators, so that was hard, but in Tolhuin... WE GRIND. Elder Hernandez, one of the elders from the office is gonna come down, and were gonna wreck Tolhuin. Shamu was a bit shy this transfer, but I've got a feeling that Elder Hernandez (who slept in the bunk above me in the bunk bed tower my first night in Comodoro, btw) and I are gonna be able coax her out. So keep your raincoats on. 

Love you all, especially you Mom. Go Cavs. Aguantes Tolhuin!!!!!!

PS: Elder Hernandez is from Uruguay and he doesn't speak English, which means I'm gonna be a Castellano capo by area 2. I'm not sure how much time he has, but the LZs (Zone Leaders) say about a year. All of the guys say he's a capo, so I'm super pumped. The music in this cyber is making me trucho haha. And yeah, you should ask Uncle Mark about his story, it's really helping me. I'll forward the email.

This is the AWESOME letter that Uncle Mark sent to Alex... just like Alex, I loved the experiences that he shared, and thought that the family would enjoy it too!

Alex,

We are sorry it has been so long since we wrote. We have been reading your weekly reports and are enjoying all you describe. We are loving our mission and enjoying both the temple and Brazil. It did get cold here but our cold would be your warm, 5 degrees C.

As I have followed your mission I want you to know that what you are experiencing is about the same as most of us.  I left Idaho in November and arrived in my first area, the city of Araracuba. It was considered the hole of the mission. It was over 90 degrees and around 90% humidity almost every day for the six months I stayed there. No air conditioning. I about died from the heat. I got all kinds of fungal diseases. The branch had about 20 members and we met in an apartment above a bakery. There were conflicts with the members and the spirit was not the best in the branch. We baptized 5 in six months and I was sure that place would never grow. I was depressed for the first few weeks and contemplated going home. Then I had a spiritual experience and I never looked back.

This past week I took your Aunt Ivelisse to visit the same city. In the past 50 years it grew from a small branch to two stakes. The leadership of the branches are strong. We tried to count the number of stake presidents, mission presidents, and Area Authorities that came out of that city. There has been one Area Authority and one wife of an AA, who was one of my baptisms. There have been several stake and mission presidents. While we were there they got together a group of some of descendants of three families who were there when I was. It was wonderful. All the children and grandchildren in those three families are active. That is the picture I am sending. So you never know what may happen in the future.  The difference in that place was the baptism of one very incredible leader, who was the husband and father of the Japanese members in the picture.


I love that city. It will always be mi lugar en el mundo. So do not give up hope. You never know what will happen.

So eat for us some Argentine Beef, dulce de Leche, empanadas, milanesa, pomelo con gas, gnocchi, and pasta. We pray for you every night. Ti queremos mucho.

Uncle Mark and Aunt Ivelisse

Elder Mark Grover
Sister Ivelisse Grover
Campinas Temple

Brazil

I'm pumped :) alright pics...


The splinter from a bush that I got during the hike last Monday that was killing me and the tools I used in my mini surgery to get it out. (Actually the picture of the splinter was way to blurry to include...)



The last fried chicken with Elder W 
and my piece that legit looked like a chicken! It was crazy!!! haha



A couple more mountain sunshine pics that were dope from last week at Laguna Esmeralda.

No comments:

Post a Comment