Wednesday, April 27, 2016

MTC - Week 4... One Month Down!

Mom, 

First off, I'm not sure if they've already done my missionary plaque, if they have it's fine, but if they haven't, I found a better scripture. Ephesians 6: 10-13. It's super good. 

Mom (and rest of the family) I just wanted to say thank you so much for all the support I've gotten here at the CCM. I know that you can't send packages to me in the field, but I feel like I've already got a missions-worth of packages, so thank you. In the devotional last night, one of the hymns we sang was families can be together forever, and I think that for the first time singing that song, I felt really grateful that I've got a family like you guys to be connected with for eternity. 

Anyways, about the devotional, it was Elder Oaks last night, so that was really cool. It's amazing how an apostle of the Lord can command your attention. 

As for the rest of the weekly report, things went well. Elder Thomas and I voluntarily picked up another investigator, so we were uber busy all week, but most of the lessons have went really well, so that's good. The newbies in the zone are all doing well, you can tell that it's a lot easier for them than it was for us because they have people to show them the ropes. 

Last night, we sang in the missionary choir, and as I was singing (with all this practice my voice is actually getting half-decent), I really realized how far I've come. I'm a legit missionary, and it made me feel ready for the field! 

Elder Thomas is doing good, we bear each others burdens really well. Sometimes we kind of drag through studies, but most of the time we do really well together. As for the other people in my district, you have Elder Tiffany from North Carolina and Sister Garcia from Houston, both of them are going to my mission. Elder Patterson is Elder Tiffany's comp. He's from Alpine and has a super crazy girlfriend named Jade. She sends 20+ page written letters to him every week, and more packages that I've got from everyone just from her. Young love I guess haha. Hermana Sanders-Smith from DC is Hermana Garcia's comp. She's pretty cool. Then you have Hermana Adams from Pocatello, she's really quiet, and Hermana Wilson from Washington who is really disapproving of almost everything I do. It used to really bother me, but now I'm like "meh, think whatever you want" haha. Dad would be so proud of me because due to my constant chastisement from Hermana Wilson (which really is pretty ridiculous) I've learned how to not take things personally and just shrug little things off instead of be defensive about them. So thanks Hermana Wilson! 

The week was pretty vanilla, aside from Elder Oaks coming. The girls are gorgeous as ever, which torments me every day. The MTC food is still pretty good, but I don't think I'll miss it too much. I'm not much of a picture taker, but I'll try to take more. 

The Hermana Laboriel story is nuts. (She's the daughter of one of my ZL's and an elder that Jose lived with in the mission - he's from Honduras.) I was looking for her for the last couple weeks, and couldn't find her, so I gave up. Then one day, I'm chatting with some guys in the other district, and one of the sisters says "Hey there's an Hermana down the hall that says she knows you." Turns out Hermana Laboriel had been just down the hall the whole time, and I'd already talked to her like 6 times. Shows how observant I am haha! It gets better though, when we finally found out who we were, I was talking to her, and her companion was like "Wait, is your first name Alex?". I was like yeaaaaah... and then she was like "I'm Sydney Isgett's best friend from North Carolina." Mind. Blown. (Alex met Sydney at his first EFY in Rexburg and they have been friends ever since) Sydney had told me a million stories about her Dominican best friend, and there she was, paired up with Hermana Laboriel. Small world huh? 



Sucks that Sofia lost her game, hopefully they get 'em next time. How's Sofia doing anyways? What a coincidence with the retainers. 

As for the semester ending at BYU, I'm well aware for that, because all of my teachers were super irritable one week, and now they're like "LIFE IS GOOD YA'LL". 

For Mother's Day, I think I'm only going to get to call (i.e. no skyping from the MTC). If you send me one of those prepaid phones, I may get to talk to you for longer than not. I love you guys so much! 1 month down, 23 to go! #Esquadrón (#Squadron)

Elder Jimenez

And this is the note that he wrote to the ward for the monthly missionary newsletter:

Hello Field Crescent Ward,

The MTC has definitely been a huge growing experience for me. Currently, I'm going into my 5th week here. I remember back to when I first came in... The first couple weeks were so hard for me because I wasn't used to working 16 hour days. The transition was rough, but it taught me to rely on the Lord. My faith has increased 100 fold, and I actually believe that I am going to receive when I pray. Other pluses of the hard transition were that now I feel like more of a go-getter, more reliable for the Lord, plus I can do my own laundry, so I'm sure that makes me a man now. I've had a goal to read the entire Book of Mormon while I've been in the MTC, and I'm at Alma 56, but Elder Oaks came last night an stressed the importance of Preach My Gospel, so I might put the Book of Mormon on hold until I fly out next Monday (May 9th), and focus my studies on that. Anyways, I hope everyone is doing good in the ward, special shout out to my main man Greg Graham and all the guys in my priests quorum. Don't procrastinate the day or your repentance, prepare, and get your butts out here. I know that this is the true church and that this is the Lord's work. Reading the Book of Mormon will bring you closer to God. Every member can be a missionary, so open your mouth, and get your local missionaries some referrals. #Escuadrón (#Squad).

Love, Elder Jimenez

And a little note from Abuela (she works at the Provo Temple)... and makes me SUPER jealous!!!

I saw Alex again today. I did a little walk around to see if I might run into him. I found a friend by the recommend desk and started talking to him, when Alex came by. He was a little scared and evasive – I do not know if this word exists in the English language-(I am sure he thought “that crazy abuela will come and hug me”). I am crazy but not that crazy I just said Hi! And Good-bye, even though I wanted to hug and kiss him.. His companion thanked me for the cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment