Monday, April 9, 2018

Rama Chacra, Zona Rio Grande - Week 4...

Hey everybody :)

Honestly, I'm getting kind of tired of writing. We're gonna see each other so soon! But I'm gonna get this one in for you guys :)

This week was busy, cold, and rainy! The first couple of days were just normal, working hard, but not finding many people. Thursday, out of nowhere, one of my Zone Leaders called me and said that he had an interview with President in Gallegos on Friday, and that I was going to accompany to him, so I had to be in the terminal at 7:45 Friday, with my passport. Well that came out of nowhere! 

So Friday, we took the bus to Gallegos, which lasted about 7-8 hours, and went to the capilla. President and Hermana Salerno were super happy to see me, which kind of embarrassed me, but I don't even care, it was a tender moment. I'm almost sure that President made me go with my ZL just because he wanted to see me haha! I got a sneak peak on the Family Home Evening that they're going to do with my zone in Ushuaia after the interviews. We're going to watch Coco, the Disney movie about Family History. I got to see most of it, and it's a great movie! 

Saturday, we spent almost all day on the bus. There were a lot of complications in the 4 border crossings, and the trip ended up lasting 10 hours (when if it goes well, it usually lasts 5-6...). So that took most of my day. 

Sad news: We decided to drop Patricia. Early in the week (Wednesday, I think) we brought a member to her house, and she was very, very drunk. Up to that point, we thought that maybe those first couple times that we had visited her we had just grabbed her on some bad days, but we thought that with her son home, and with our visits, she might lay off the alcohol a bit. However, in the visit with the member, we came to know that it wasn't that we found her on a bad day, it's that she's a full blown alcoholic. The lesson was a disaster, and the member, the most innocent sister in the branch, was pretty shaken up. My companions visited her while I was in Gallegos, and committed her to live the Word of Wisdom, but when we passed by Saturday night to put plans to take her to church, she was drunk. Again. The hard thing is that I want to help her, but when she's drunk, you just can't have a real conversation with her. It's impossible to feel the Spirit, and there's no progression. She wanted to go to church, but we couldn't run the risk of bringing her while she had been drinking, so we decided to drop her. We're going to try and put her in contact with Alcohólicos Anonimos, to help her, but we won't be teaching her more. 

I was a bit sad about that, because I came to know that my chances of baptizing were officially done, but that's not what it's all about. Looking at the positives, there have been many good things that I've been able to do in this area, like help various missionaries, especially my companion Elder Lees, who is literally the best missionary I've ever met, improve a ton the relationship that the members have with the missionaries, and find new people for my companions to teach.

This week, I read the story of the missions of the Sons of Mosiah. I liked how the Book of Mormon tells that the lamanites in the desert rejected Aaron when he brought them the Gospel, but then later on, in the midst of their trials, they remembered what he said, and without a sinlge missionary present, were converted to the faith. I may not be able to baptize in this last area, but I'm going to continue talking with everyone I can, in the streets, the busses, stores, their homes, and everywhere I can find 'em, and I'm going to try and plant as many seeds as I can.

I'm also so grateful for the man the mission has made out of me. The Lord has really molded me in these two years, and although I'm still very imperfect, I think I'm going to be able to serve others more than before coming down here. 

I love the Lord, and I want to dedicate my life to Him. I'm going to keep working in His work when I get home, spreading the light and peace that the Gospel brings, because I know that that IS what it's all about. 

FAMILY! I love you guys! I'm praying for you! Stay safe, well see each other soon :) 

MOM! I love you! I hope you get better! If you haven't asked Dad for a Priesthood blessing, do it! 

Love you guys :) - Elder Jimenez 

No comments:

Post a Comment