Sunday, April 1, 2018

Rama Chacra, Zona Rio Grande - Week 2... Hard Week of Work!

Hey everybody :)

As I sat down today, it hit me that this is the 4th to last time that I'll write in my mission... Thats crazy! Not trunky though...

Sounds like you guys had a great week! Im happy to hear that everything's going well.

This week was HARD. Hard.

Upon arriving in the area, I quickly found out that we don't have a single investigator, and that our area is comprised of 3 main neighborhoods that are all 30 minutes apart from each other walking. Greaaaaaaat. Add on top of that that the work is really different from the office (the schedule too), plus were training, and I've got two areas to call 5 times per week each (those calls are in the night, when everyone else is relaxing and eating), and you'll get an idea of how I was feeling this week.

The good thing is that I'm good though :) I'm really worried for the area, because we worked really hard this week and had very little results, but there were many positives!

1) I think this was a transition week. I'm already getting more comfortable in the routine (never comfortable, maybe adapted would be the right word haha!), plus, the area makes us work smarter. We already lose an extra hour because of the special studies we do with Elder Lees, and walking from barrio to barrio takes time, so this week, we decided that were going to dedicate specific barrios to each day, and put all the appointments in those neighborhoods on those days. I have a feeling that next week is going to be more successful.

2) We already improved the relationship with the members a ton! There were some problems with the Branch President, but I arranged an appointment for him and the other elders and sisters in my district (who had been present in the problematic time) and they worked everything out! So now were good. Plus, there are some great members here. Chacra has the highest assistance of all the units in the mission with 130. We brought an investigator to church this week, and they did a great job fellowshipping her. Were going to work with them a lot!

3) We had an assistance! We had worked sooooo hard all week, and nothing. Nothing. Nothing. I wasn't frustrated, but I was super worried because if we don't find anyone, we don't teach, nor baptize. So we were working, Saturday night, closin' in on the hour to go home, and a member cancels the divisions we were going to do with him. Great. But then, a lady with a cane comes walking behind us, and I say "Buenas tardes". She says "No thank you" in a very bad english accent. How nice haha! So I say "Que bueno su ingles", and she looks at me with a face that says "You're kidding right" and walks over to her apartment building, and invites us in! We met her, her name is Patricia, and among all the crazy questions she had, we invited her to come to church, and she accepted! The only problem was that she lives about an hour and a half walking from the capilla, and she walks at a pace in which the tortoise and the hare would beat her XD

So we arranged for a couple members to help pick her and us up, and after a ton of effort, Patricia came to church! She had a good time, and we had arranged for a couple members to help host her. The experience left her willing to return next week. So we'll be working with her!

Now, I'll just get this out for now. After church, we helped her paint a room, and afterwords ate a stew she made (chicken neck isn't that great, but like Patricia says "It's cartilidge, not bone, so you youngin's with good teeth won't have any problems eating the whole thing!). After we ate, we tried to teach a bit, but the woman talks toooo much! She almost didnt let us get in a word! It slowly became apparent that she may just want us to pass by and talk with her, but not listen to the gospel, which is a no no. So we decided to make it clear to her. We told her "Patricia, were really grateful for all you do, and we love your company, but we want you to know that were not just passing by to chat. We're here to baptize you. If you want help to get baptized, we can teach you. But we can't just come and talk about other things." She didn't really react, so were still not sure if shell be a good investigator or no. Our plan is to leave her pamphlets and passages to read, and we'll answer questions in the appointments, and we're only going to pass by once or twice per week. All in all, she's good, and we're going to work with her, but we've definitely got to keep searching.

I'm not going lie to you guys, I think that these are going to be the hardest weeks of my mission. It's just tough here. I'm not sure I'm going to baptize, not even sure if I'm going to teach that much, but I can assure you guys one thing. I'm gonna wake up on time every day, study every day, pray, and work hard till the last day. I didn't give so much these past 24 months just to give up in the last. And I KNOW who I'm working for, and He gave His all for me, and He loves me. So I'm gonna go and give Him the tiny part that I can give Him of what He deserves from me.

FAMILY: I'm glad you guys had a "don't spill the queso" moment! I hope nobody was hurt though haha! SOFIA: Youre a legend! You inspire me! MOM! Just 10 more weeks, and you got it! LOVE YOU! Love you guys!

- Elder Jimenez

PS: They sent us a third companion named Elder Valenzuela from Paraguay. He has 11 months in his mission! He's doing great.




Rio Grande: La Capital Internacional de la Trucha :D
Rio Grande - The International Trout Capital

No comments:

Post a Comment